Pages

Saturday 14 July 2018

Clyde Stride / Clyde Shuffle

Two weeks ago I entered a race. For £23 you’d be lucky to get entry into a 10k race these days, so the idea of running a 40 mile ultra for that price, and a last minute call for final entries was too much to resist. It was the perfect opportunity to test where I am fitness-wise and strength-wise (general strength but mainly an assessment of my hip/groin).
I never expected to finish if I’m honest. Having only done 5 runs of 10 miles or longer this year (Spine Challenger excepted) with 15 miles being the longest, I just wanted to see how far I could go before things started to break down. I don’t normally do races as training runs but it seemed much easier to do the sort of run I wanted by entering the race - more likely to push on a bit/ make more of an effort - and it meant I could explore a route I have never set foot on before.

I DNFed the race after 20 miles. I was physically ready to stop at about 14 miles.

So here are a few take-always from today:

I have missed the excitement of race morning.
It’s been too long since I saw my fellow Scottish ultra runners (from north of home).
Ultra marathons are great ways to meet cool people.
Most people in ultra running are totally sound.
Some people in ultra running are not so much.
It’s hot in the city.
Muscle memory only works if you’ve done the training to remind it.
Navigating and racing at the same time is very distracting and time consuming.
If you don’t know where you are going, you spend the whole time worrying you’re going the wrong way, and you breathe a huge sigh of relief each time you see a marker.
I tried a new drink. It wasn’t for me.
I tried running jelly - it’s still too much like a gel for me.
A Diet Coke and a massive burp can work wonders on a hot race day.
Fat bits can get as sore as muscle bits when you’re running a long way.
Sport Sheild is literally the best thing an ultra runner can use to stop chaffing.
I need new summer running socks - my go-to socks have a hole in!
My Montane skort, no matter how old, or how many times it’s been worn, is my most reliable piece of running clothing. It can do no wrong.
Running across the Raith Interchange was actually kind of cool.
DNFs are never an easy decision but sometimes they are the correct one.
I had been ready to call it a day at 14 miles - legs were sore and feeling used up. Not through lack of energy but through muscle breakdown/lack of training strength.
My hip/groin did better than I’d hoped.
Hard work does pay off, it just takes a lot longer than you hope for.
I’ve made a lot of progress in the past 6 months.
I still have a very long way to go.
I’m still not sure if I will go ahead with the surgery or not.
I like rain and temperatures of about 10-15 degrees.


No comments: