Pages

Tuesday 23 February 2016

False Start

I seem to blog less and less these days - my time being stretched in other directions - but today, normally 'treadmill Tuesday' I am not running, again. So I thought it was about time have a blog catch-up.

So why am I not running? Well, the story is a bit of a broken record at the moment - yet another virus, another bad chest, and looking forward to another round of blood tests and clinics to attend.  Something's not right.  I can't put my finger on it, but I know something is not right. It's one thing after another, month after month  I've missed short training runs, long training runs, track sessions - entire weeks of training - and even this past weekend I missed our club cross country championships.  I'm not a huge cross country fan (I love watching it on television but it's not my favourite running discipline) but if I have been free I have always attending this one race at Annan.  It's a shame, because only one other lady from the club went which would have meant I could have come away with a prize even with a terrible performance.

I'm at a bit of a loss when it comes to races this year.  I can't really decide what to do as my build-up races towards the Lakeland 100 at the end of July. Last year I ran the Fling but that's not happening for me this year.  I have two short and one medium fell races entered, and I have a long training weekend organised in May with some friends but beyond that I am target-less.  It's probably just as well given my current health but I could really do with putting something on my planner for when I feel ready for racing big again.  I had hoped that when the Anglo-Celtic Plate returned to Perth that I would race it.  The 100k has always held a special appeal to me - Paul became Scottish 100K Champion not long after we got together. I've always felt that one day I would like to do one.  And I would like it to be at Perth.  Alas I will have to wait until it rolls back around in a couple of years time.

Many of my club-mates are well under way with their Fling training and it would be great to be able to train with them on a regular basis. It would really help me get some mileage in my legs but I can only do that if my health picks up again, and if our schedules match.  Scheduling is tough when you have to juggle training times with a partner (husband in my case) and children (when you don't have extra childcare) and work and other commitments. I miss getting regular runs with my friends.  At times I can feel quite isolated within the running community.  Don't get me wrong I enjoy my solo runs but it's nice to have company as well. Thank god for social media and Strava - often that's the only way I know what's going on running wise - they are, so often, my points of contact with the world of running, especially when I'm not running myself.

So fingers crossed I can get some answers soon regarding my health issues, and start getting down to some solid, consistent training.  I need to set some targets, some race goals to aim for between now and the Lakeland 100 in July.  It will be the biggest and toughest race I have ever attempted and I really need to get on that start line feeling healthy, strong, fit and positive. Right now the race makes me feel small and completely inadequate.  I'm sure a lot of people feel like that when they are targeting something that's beyond anything they've ever done before.  This is why I need to get myself into a place mentally where I feel I am ready to tackle those 105 miles and 6300 feet of ascent.  In order to feel mentally ready I need to feel physically ready - I need confidence in my training.

It's nearly the end of February and the race is at the end of July.  On the face of it it seems like there s lots of time still to train, but really, when you start breaking into down into training periods, there really is not much time at all. It's time to go...

No comments: